Wednesday, December 06, 2006

WATER YOUR TREE!!!

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE water your tree...over water your tree! I got this in an e-mail this morning, and i have actually seen it live and in person under a controlled situation. It was super scary!!!! God knows i love me some real christmas tree, but lets keep all things related to fire away from the tree.

This service announcement is brought to you by your friendly neighborhood Birdnerd. :)

A Christmas Tree Fireproof Recipe from Barnes Evergreens. This fireproofing recipe will help your tree hold up to seven times its normal weight in water. To begin, strip 3 inches of bark off the butt of the tree trunk, so the solution can enter the sides as well as the bottom. In a separate container, mix the following ingredients:

2 qts. hot water
1pt. Karo syrup
2 oz. liquid bleach
Pinch Epsom salts
1/2 tsp. Borax
6 qts. boiling water

It's important to add the mixture to the Christmas tree stand - the hotter the better the initial time. (Breaking the cold sap down so the solution can work towards the top of the tree is important.) The remaining solution can be added cold as needed. After a few days, cut a twig off to test. See if a match will burn the needles.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!

3 brilliant thoughts by others:

Leah said...

Thanks for the PSA. Is it too late for my two week old tree?
By the way, can't watch the video, but I'll take your word for it.

kt said...

Oh no leah...I'm so sorry! You HAVE to see it. Try this link..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPyrJbKJpIY

That should take you right to it.

Leah said...

Thanks for the link, but I won't watch it b/c fire has always been my biggest fear. Now, as a mom, it is hard enough to have any form of heat in my house. I can't have those images seared into my brain. Again that you for the potion. I'll be dousing the entire tree in it next year :-)