Monday, March 10, 2008

Bufblopofo poll


I need you. Yes YOU! Here at 190 Lancaster we are at a stand still. It's about the dishwasher post i put up the other day. We all have clear views of the proper way to do the dishwasher and we figured the only way to resolve it was to open the floor and involve the people who know the most about life. And you my friends are those people. We the people of the blog world have a unique role in this world, to judge and to be judged. So please do your best and help the poor folks of 190 Lancaster...we need clean dishes and it is not going to get done until this issue has been laid to rest. Please review these questions and post answers as you see fit. I will publicize the results when all the data has been collected.


#1-Silverwear: Which way does it go in? Pointy things up or down? Or a mixture of both?

#2-Rinsing: To what extent do you rinse dishes before putting them in the dishwasher?

#3-Loading: Better to pack tightly or leave room for the Holy Spirit?


Please for the sake of clean dishes and lack of salmonella poisoning, please let me know what your thoughts are on this issue, as soon as you are available to do so. Thank you.


-The Management-

8 brilliant thoughts by others:

Esther said...

I believe I already expressed my bond of sisterhood with you over this, but I will elaborate:
1. Pointy things down. Duh. Otherwise you will get poked when you stick you hand in to pick up the silverware basket. And, if you can convince others to do so, it really speeds up the putting-away process if you separate the silverware as you put it into the dishwasher. I know. Crazy talk. I don't go that far in my own home.

2. If the DW is not going to be run anytime soon, you might need to rinse, depending on how tough it will be to get off said crust. Baby food? Needs rinsing if the bowl is just going to petrify over the next 48 hours. If you're going to run the DW immediately, no rinsing necessary.

3. If you load properly, you can fit everything like tetris so it gets clean (i.e. you haven't overpacked) but you have a full dw (so no unnecessary space is left). My mother is the QUEEN of dw loading. Ask her. Mike is the king of dish-putting-away. Ask him!

MBM said...

1) The health department recommends that you put your silverware in face down! Ok I made that up, but if you think about it. You wash your silverware, then go to take it out and get your dirty hands all over it! So pointy things down for shizzle. I too like the idea of segregation of types of silverware, but I never seem to do it.

2) My mom always made us rinse. The enviro-friendly person I try to be is anti-rinse. So I end up somewhere in the middle. I rinse the bad stuff or make it super quick. Doug loves to rinse though, and I decided not to up the ante on this one.

3) I love dish organization. I think you can get it all in.

Crazy Cat Lady said...

Okay, I found your blog from Lou and Walline and I have to say that you are seriously the funniest person...ever. The purse blog---riiiiidiculously funny. I almost punched myself laughing then fired from doing it all -out loud- at work.

I am requesting to add you to my blog. I hope I can one day meet you so I know who you are...but I am sure if you are gopod friends with those guys then youz iz aight in my book. Thems is good people.

Let me know if you mind the add.

-Carla

Anonymous said...

OK....
1.Knives go in points down. Spoons and forks go in handles down. This is how my mother taught me. Would you argue with her?
2.Ya gotta rinse sometimes. Sorry, there's no hard and fast rule. Stuff like eggs, hot cereal, etc. will become part of the plate if you don't give it a rinse. Also, Esther's right about the time thing. Less rinsing if you're gonna run it right away.
3.Take your time to figure out how to get the most in there! The worst that will happen is some things may have to go thru again.

M. said...

KT- your Mom (as I've said on many occasions) is entirely right and utterly brilliant. AMEN to all of her suggestions.

I have no new thoughts. That's it-- she's right.

Oh, wait, except-- try to use green dishwasher detergent. It doesn't cost any more than the other stuff, does the same job, and doesn't suffocate the ocean life. No downsides, from my opinion :)

Mike Garvey said...

let lisa do it.

Anonymous said...

I think all pointy silverware goes down, and actually all part-that-into-your-mouth goes down. That way you don't stick your gross hands all over the clean silverware when you put it away. I agree with Mills :-).

As for pre-wash, I agree with the others -- sometimes there is no option, but generally try to avoid it.

As for overstuffing the dishwasher, I think that's impossible unless you have loose cups and bowls flying around.

And god bless dishwashers. Best invention ever.
-Milks

daren sammy said...

I would simply say to you all “awesome information” free wordpress themes